Monday, November 22, 2010

Wherein a vegetarian visits a butcher shop

Yes, you read that right. I, a life-long vegetarian, went to a butcher shop last week to purchase sausages for my husband, who wanted some to add to pasta I was making for dinner.

It was my own fault for volunteering to run across the street and buy some groceries for dinner, as well as some other household items. As I was leaving to hit the farm market, Mr V. asked if I would pick up some lamb sausages. I was worried, to put it mildly.

The farm market was easy and normal. Then, I entered the butcher shop, and immediately wanted to turn around. Not only was I completely out of my element, the huge array of meat products was way too overwhelming to me. The man at the counter may or may not have immediately noticed I was paralyzed in the doorway like a frightened rabbit.

He asked if he could help me, so I told him what I wanted, and that I was a vegetarian and thus completely confused by everything in the shop. He laughed, packed up the sausages, and let me pay for them without further comment.

Thus, a vegetarian made her first foray into a butcher shop. My husband better appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment