Friday, February 25, 2011

Muffins, cheesecake and a short hiatus

My husband is apparently addicted to blueberry muffins.

As a treat several weeks ago I made low-calorie muffins, which he then took for breakfast for the rest of the week. They're were quite tasty, but as I posted about a few weeks ago, they weren't exactly what he was looking for. So, I continued the search for a better low-calorie blueberry muffin.

I ended up finding one on Sparkpeople.com, a site dedicated to helping people lose weight as a community.They're even lower calorie than the first ones, but they're much denser and more moist, as the recipe includes vanilla yogurt.

They were a hit, and so I made another batch of them last weekend. That batch is now gone, and Mr. V is requesting that I bake another one. I've created a monster.

Last weekend was also my birthday, and following a family tradition, I baked my own birthday cakes. One was the typical Betty Crocker mix, but I decided to get all fancy for the second one, and made a chocolate brownie cheesecake.

Were I a teenager, my response would be "OMG!" That cheesecake was delicious! It was one of the more time intensive cheesecakes I've ever made, as I had to make the crust (assisted by my capable husband), make the brownies, and then make the cheesecake itself. It was definitely worth the time, but it won't be a recipe that I can just whip up on a whim. It went over very well at my family birthday party though, so I will certainly be keeping it in my arsenal for the future.

And now we come to my hiatus. As I noted last weekend, I have signed up for a 30-day yoga challenge at my yoga studio. Every day from March 1 to 30 I will take a yoga class, in a possibly vain effort to centre myself, gain some self-esteem and learn to breathe again. Unfortunately this means my Perfect Housewife duties will be falling by the wayside, but instead I will be blogging every day (seriously) about the challenge, my thoughts and any problems I encounter. My aim is to come out the other side a much calmer and more centred woman, but as usual there are no guarantees. I'm hoping this short journey of self-discovery will wash away some stress and remind me of the importance of liking myself as a person, whether I'm a Perfect Housewife or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment