Monday, September 27, 2010

A weekend wrapup

The Perfect Housewife isn't moving too quickly today after pulling a muscle in my back on Friday, but I've managed to get a lot done!

I was finally able to try out my asiago and mushroom en croute on Friday. The original recipe called for puff pastry, but the grocery store didn't have any so I bought phyllo dough instead. I am a huge fan of phyllo, especially when filled with spinach and cheese to make a Greek spanokopita (something else I plan to try to make at some point), so I figured it would work out pretty well. Now, I'm normally the type of person who follows the recipe to the letter on my first try, but in this case I wasn't going to visit every grocery store in the Lower Mainland trying to find frozen puff pastry. It obviously exists somewhere, but I have no idea where at this point.

Anyway, it did turn out well. When I make it again, I would add more vegetables to the filling, since I found it to be a bit thin. Also, a single large pie plate was too small for two servings, at least without something else to go with it. I think if we had some side dishes as well it would have been fine. Either way, it was delicious.

Along with the pastry, I decided to tackle two cookie recipes I found on Martha Stewart's website. The first one was called Outrageous Chocolate Cookies. Chocolate is a one of my weaknesses, and I'm always looking for new cookie recipes. They were indeed delicious, but a bit small. They were a hit the next day when my in-laws moved house though.

My second attempt at baking were Peanut Butter Surprises. They were much larger than the Outrageous Chocolate Cookies, but I found them to be a lot more work to make. The dough was extremely sticky and therefore hard to form, and it was tough to really hide the peanut butter as you're supposed to do. Nevertheless, they turned out amazingly, and were also devoured over the weekend.

My last contribution to the perfect household was vacuuming every room, and putting away the mountain of laundry that had taken up residence in our bedroom. Mr. V told me I had to make sure to post that I had even put away his laundry, including folding his t-shirts. I'm not quite sure how folding his shirts makes me the Perfect Housewife, but apparently it does.

Unfortunately my work schedule will keep me away from my apartment tomorrow night, so The Perfect Housewife will return on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment