Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My next experiment

I have an all-abiding love for cream of mushroom soup, which is something I picked up several years ago while visiting my family in Ireland. There, I spent an afternoon picking wild mushrooms out of my cousin's yard, and carrying them home to be made into the best wild mushroom soup I have ever tasted. Sadly my cousin was killed two months later, and his house no longer belongs to the family.

Since my visit, I've bought the boxed soups in a vain attempt to taste that wonderful flavour again (and maybe remember the fun I had that afternoon.) Of course, it has thus far never been matched. So, tomorrow evening I am going to attempt to make wild mushroom and potato soup from a recipe on Food and Wine Magazine's website. This is the first time I've actually been nervous about trying a recipe, for reasons that even I am not quite sure. Perhaps it's because this soup has a lot to live up, or perhaps it's just the memories that I hope it will bring.

Though it's obviously not going to be the mushroom soup I remember, I hope it will be equally delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment