Thursday, October 14, 2010

Return of the phyllo pastry

Tonight, I decided to try something different. When Mr. V and I moved in together, I brought a ton of cookbooks into the house. I placed them in our bookshelf, and then forgot about them for the most part. Instead, I depended on Mr. V to help me cook, or got ideas from websites, magazines or T.V.

So, last night I pulled out my pile of cookbooks, and we went through them to find a recipe for dinner tonight. We ended up choosing a mushroom and ricotta tart, made with phyllo dough. We still have phyllo left over from my experiment with mushrooms and asiago en croute, so that was a good start.

Now, I don't eat eggs. Yes, I'll eat a cake or something that uses them as a hidden ingredient, but I don't like the taste of eggs on their own. This recipe worried me a bit, because in this case the eggs are really front and centre. Granted they were mixed with ricotta cheese and sour cream, but as I beat everything together, it looked much more egg-y than I was comfortable with.

However, it was delicious. The biggest problem? There wasn't enough of it. Between Mr. V and I, the tart disappeared quickly (it was a small tart in the first place) and he was still hungry. He ended up zapping a frozen pasta meal, so I guess that was a Perfect Housewife fail.

Bad housewife, bad! You did not feed your husband properly!

Tomorrow is going to be an Italian night, with tomato bruschetta for an appetizer, and then some spaghetti with mushroom sauce for dinner.

I will also (finally!) be cleaning my house. At this point, the only clean room in the house is our den, and that's just unacceptable in the Perfect Housewife universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment