Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 17: Hatha and my mother

My mother has an osteo-arthritic hip, which has caused her many problems over the past several years. Partially because of this, she rarely gets any exercise, and thus is always on a weight-loss mission.

Today, my day 17 of my 30-day challenge, I took her to hatha class with me. My first love is hot, but I knew she would never survive, so hatha it had to be.

And for once, she really enjoyed it. She had never taken yoga before, so I was a bit worried coming in she would dislike something, but I was very happily surprised. She wasn't able to do all the postures, but she made it through the entire 1.25 hour class, and I am very proud of her. She says she will be returning at some point, so we'll see what happens after I get back from my Mexican honeymoon (29 sleeps!)

As I noted, today was day 17. 13 days left, and today I was actually kind of sad. Though I have certainly had my bad days, most of them have been good, and today was one of them. The time flew by, and my body feels great. I'm tired, but after working for five days, who isn't?

But I will miss my daily yoga practice, and I know I probably won't be able to repeat it anytime soon. So far it has helped my hip flexibility (I'm still waiting on the hamstrings), lightened my mood, taught me to breath and given me new energy, and something constant to concentrate on.

Though I am only just over halfway through, yoga has helped me centre myself, and brought good things to me. Starting on March 28, I will begin working Monday to Friday. For the past three years, I have worked Sunday to Thursday and that has occasionally caused problems because I am unable to do things on Sundays, such as brunches, bridal/baby showers and family get-togethers. Now, I will be able to attend those things if I so choose. I will have a normal weekend like everyone else, and I can spend more time with my husband.

It's weird to think about, but I think my 30-day practice has brought me some good karma, and now that karma is paying off.

No comments:

Post a Comment