Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 9: Appreciation

Remember how I said yesterday that my energy level is better? Well, I made myself into a liar today when I had to get up to talk a walk because I was getting too tired to concentrate. Hopefully that was just an anomaly though.

I could not for the life of me tell you what the theme of today's yoga class was. Lately the yogi has been providing an intention for the class, but today he did not, and even if he had, I would have changed it to suit my own purposes.

This week has been a very hard week for many of my friends, with two cancer diagnoses and a requirement for surgery that will likely prove fatal (these are three different friends, to be clear.)

All three people diagnosed are the parents of my friends, which last night made me think about all I take for granted regarding my own friends and family, especially my parents. Throughout my life, there have been times when my parents and I have fought, for various large and small issues. But no matter what, I love them both very much, and I love my friends and other family members as well.

I am lucky that my parents have been there for me through all my milestones, from graduating high school then university, and beginning to date and then marrying my husband. I hope they will continue to be there for more milestones in my life, that of my husband and any future family.

Today, I appreciate my mother. I appreciate that even though she and I have had our share of disagreements and screaming fights, she loves me anyway. I appreciate that she has always taken care of me, and that she was there for me during the planning of my wedding, which came with its share of stress and tears.

And I appreciate my dad, who has also been there for me through thick and thin, through bad decisions, two tattoos and forced mediation. He loves me for whatever I am and whomever I become, and for that I thank him. I never stopped to think on the day of my wedding how lucky I was to have him by my side as I walked down the aisle, but looking back now, I see how blessed I was.

Finally, I appreciate my husband, who puts up with my moods, buys me flowers, and cooks me dinner when I get home exhausted. I appreciate him for loving me, for making me a better person, and for keeping me on an even keel when the world gets too much. It is my hope and prayer that we will have a long, happy and healthy marriage, no matter what lies ahead for us. I cannot imagine losing him, and I hope that won't happen for many, many decades.

It is my hope that my friends and their parents will have the best possible outcome, no matter what it is. Today, my yoga intention was to remember how lucky I am, and how important it is to remember that life can change in an instant. Being selfish is no longer an option for me, and I hope this will be one promise I will keep without ever wavering.

No comments:

Post a Comment