Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day 2: Relax, release

That was today's mantra, and surprisingly, it worked at the end.

Hot yoga was on the agenda again today, day 2 of the 30-day challenge. I have discovered a new favourite pose, the pigeon. It's an excellent stretch for my hips, which is apparently where I carry quite a bit of stress and tension.

However, the frustration of being inflexible is still there, even though my logical mind knows it's impossible to change my muscles in a day. I don't want to be upset, and I don't want to be looking for judgment that is probably not even there. One of the philosophies of yoga is the lack of judgment and the understanding that everyone is in a different place. Not everyone can do a specific pose, even if that person could do it yesterday.

I would do well to remember that sometimes.

Tomorrow is a rest day of hatha yoga, which I have never taken at this specific studio. I'm sure it will be just as enjoyable, and I certainly need the rest. I never realized how tired I would be with a schedule of going to the gym in the morning, going to work, and then hitting yoga on the way home. I'm hoping this exhaustion will go away once I get into a schedule.

One thing I am proud of today? I was really looking forward to yoga after work. Normally I am exhausted and I just want to go home, but today I really wanted to hit the studio. It's small progress, but progress just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment