Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 3: Confusion

I'm not sure what to think about today's hatha yoga class. I've always taken hot yoga at the studio, but I was thinking that four days in a row (tomorrow's class is hot yoga) might be pushing it and may strip me of all my electrolytes. Note that this is not necessarily a bad thing until I collapse from dehydration.

Anyway, it was interesting. The room was much smaller, and definitely not warm. In fact, I was quite cold, but that could have been because I dressed for hot yoga. Lesson learned, wear pants instead of shorts.

The teacher was very nice and had a very soothing voice, which is important for hatha yoga because it is meant to be more relaxing. However, I found it much harder than hot yoga.

With hot yoga, you are meant to deeply stretch and hold positions for a longer period of time in order to facilitate that deep stretch. In today's class, we moved from pose to pose much quicker, and I sometimes found my arms or legs shaking from the effort. I've also found with hot yoga that you do much fewer exercise with your own body weight, and that was definitely not the case here.

I'm going to try another hatha class on Saturday, to see if I like it better. Something in my brain is telling me that I need to do it because it's hard; I need to overcome my feelings and keep trying until my brain stops telling me to stop.

Tomorrow may or may not be the day from hell. I have a personal training session from 8:15 to 9:15, then driving my father to the airport for 10:15, and then returning for yoga at 12:15 to 1:15.

After that you will find me collapsed on the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment