Friday, March 25, 2011

Karma, giving up and returning to the mat

Obviously I haven't been blogging for the past several days. It's been a week of highs and lows, and I haven't been around too much other than to quickly check email and then sleep.

The first couple days this week were great. I enjoyed my classes, life was going well, and I was enjoying the challenge. And then Wednesday smacked me in the face.

I came home from hot yoga, and I announced to my husband that I was quitting yoga, I couldn't do it anymore, it wasn't doing me any good and I needed to stop, effective immediately. He told me he would support me in whatever I chose to do, but reminded me that completing this challenge was important to me. I had already promised to take my mother to yoga again on Thursday, so I said I would do that and then end my challenge there, a week from the finish.

Well, that didn't happen. I returned to hot yoga today, and I enjoyed it once more. The teacher this morning was wonderful, and she really helped me better my asanas. At night the class attendance is higher, so the teacher isn't able to give anyone individual attention. I can't help but think that if I had taken a class with today's teacher the entire time, I would have made a difference in my flexibility. I'm kicking myself now.

Unfortunately she doesn't teach at night, so I won't be able to take a class with her again during my challenge unless I go at 6:30 a.m. on Monday. I haven't decided what I want to do yet. In theory I really want to do it, but I just don't know that I can get up at 5:30 in the morning.

But this week hasn't just been full of yoga-related ups and downs. My work life this week has been both fantastic and heart-wrenching.

I have received a promotion at work, but at the cost of a very good friend. And it's weighing on me, because one of the things I had hoped to gain during the course of the challenge was a better acceptance of the highs and lows of my career. Instead, I got a new addition to my career, which was much greater karma than I ever though would happen. In one regard, this challenge has brought me so much, but it has taken away things from others, and that's making me feel tremendously guilty.

6 more classes to go ... kind of hard to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment