Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day 5 and 6: Healing

I fell down on my blogging last night, probably due to coming home and passing out facedown on the bed.

Anyway, yesterday was my second foray into hatha yoga, to test if my mild dislike for it on Thursday was due to the teacher, the lack of sweating, a combination of both or something entirely different.

Apparently it was inherent laziness, because I still didn't enjoy it like I expected to. Part of it was due to the teacher, who I found a bit abrasive (I won't take a class her again, but I will try again with Thursday's yogi), and part of it was due to how packed the room was. One drawback of the 30-day challenge is that I'm not the only one doing it, and therefore people are fitting in classes whenever they can. I guess 10 a.m. on a Saturday is a popular time, since there were at least 30 people in a very small room. If I hadn't known better, I would have thought it was a hot class after a few minutes. It's never comfortable to be afraid to raise your arms over your head in case you bonk someone else. A bit tough to get a good stretch when you are feeling constrained.

However, I can't write off hatha just yet. As noted I won't be taking another class with the teacher from yesterday (unless I have no choice of course) but I will go back to hatha on Thursday and see how it goes.

That brings us to today, my first yin-yang class. Yin-Yang is a mixture of deep, slow stretching (yin) and flowing sequences (yang). 8:30 on a Sunday not being a popular time, it wasn't packed and I didn't feel in danger of whacking someone else or being whacked myself. It was definitely a struggle to get up so early on a Sunday, but I really enjoyed the class. However, leaving for work afterwards was not so enjoyable, since I was in a state of blissed-out exhaustion and all I wanted to do was go back home for a nap. This could have made driving a hazard.

Six days have passed quite quickly, but I am waiting for the sudden exhausted crash where I just don't feel like entering the studio again. I'm sure it will happen at some point in the next 24 days, but I'm hoping it can hold off until closer to the end of my challenge, when the finish line is in sight and I can use a final burst of energy to carry me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment